10 & 11 November 2022, 10:00 – 15:00 CET
Marta Bartnicka will be hosting two sessions from 10:00 to 15:00 CET on Thursday 10 and Friday 11 November 2022. She will prepare exercises for each attendee (in their own language combination). You will provide the exercise texts based on Marta’s specifications.
An end-of-session discussion will take place, where participants can ask questions on the topic and Marta will do her best to answer them. Ellen may pitch in, if she can’t resist… Marta has experience with various MT engines and will provide information on how to calculate productivity, whether MTPE is a good option for a specific project, and potential process steps.
After completing the workshop, you will be able to negotiate fair terms with your customers and clients, based on data.
For over 20 years in IBM Translation Center, Marta Bartnicka has worked at the crossroads of cultures, where corporate policies and local customs meet. Over time, she gathered experience in translation and localization, verification, localization testing, localization projects management and terminology, as well as implementation of Machine Translation and integrating Continuous Delivery / Continuous Integration with the localization process.
In 2019, Marta joined Dolby Laboratories, leveraging her expertise in Localization and exploring the world of Publishing Engineering. Several times a year, in cooperation with Localize.pl and All-Round Translator, she runs training courses on software/documentation localization and the practical use of Machine Translation.
Co-author of the publication “Programmers and translators. Introduction to software localization” (in Polish, with Dr. Agenor Hofmann-Delbor, published by Helion). Marta publishes the latest news from the world of machine translation on her site https://machinetranslation.pl/ and practical advice for localizing user interfaces & documentation on co-authored https://localization.pl/. Both sites provide information on workshops and other services related to MT and L10n.
M.Sc. in Computer Science (Scientific and Technical Information Systems, Wrocław University of Science and Technology). Hobbies, in alphabetical order: cross-country skiing, daughters, gardening, the Tatras.
If you have any questions, please raise them. ART was started and is here for the global community of translators (and interpreters). We organize workshops because we believe in the added value of sharing knowledge and of networking among colleagues.
- MT in 2022.
- Neural networks.
- What is “corpus” and “training”? Why are these terms important?
- Why are some language pairs more difficult than others?
- Purpose of MT: to understand the content, to generate text of standard quality.
- Post-editing best practices; does “light PE” make any sense?
- Post-editing exercises, taking the traps of NMT into account.
- How to assess whether MT helps me? (initial evaluation, productivity, edit distance, etc.)
- How to price post-editing. Which percentage is reasonable?
- How to use eTranslation, the EU MT system
- What MT can do for you if you’re not a posteditor?
- Communication between translators, clients and MT providers.
- Do MT systems capture and store whatever we enter?
- ‘MT never asks’ – impact of source text quality, tags, etc.
- What to expect in the near future (Context is King).
- Issues raised by participants and proposed solutions.
Who should attend?
- Translators who want to post-edit.
- Post-editors who want to share experiences and learn best practice.
- Anyone with a bad impression of MT who wonders if it could work better.
- Anyone working with a client who believes in MT for everything.
- Anyone working with a client scared of using MT for anything.
- Anyone eager to start using MT.
- Anyone who would like to know what MT is and what it should and should not be used for.
|Date:||10 and 11 November 2022|
|Time:||From 10:00 to 15:00 CET|
|Early-bird price:||€269.00 (excluding VAT, valid until 1 September)|
|Regular price:||€319.00 (excluding VAT, from 1 September onwards)|
|Registration:||Fill in the form below. ART will send you an invoice, which will include the VAT if applicable, to be paid before the event.|